Himalayas' most spectacular scenery. Ladakh road trip across the rooftop of the world. Relax in the shadow of ancient Buddhist monasteries. Ride a bike to challenge yourself.
12 days / 11 nights
Delhi – Leh – Lamayuru – Alchi – Leh – Nubra Valley – Pongong Tso – Leh
- Spectacular views of the Himalayas
- Melodious chants of Buddhist monks
- Ladakhi and Tibetan cultures
- Experience life in a frugal environment
Day 1 : Delhi
Arrive in Delhi. Visit the city's historical or religious landmarks.
Day 2 : Delhi / Indus Valley
Morning fly to Leh (3,500 m / 11,500 ft). Check in for 2 days in a peaceful lodge.
Day 3 : Indus Valley
Rest day for acclimatization to high altitude. Visit Phyang Monastery.
Day 4 : Lamayuru
Drive along Indus River towards Lamayuru. Visit Ladakh's oldest Gompa (Monastery). Walk in the village and admire the stunning geological formation nicknamed Moonland.
Day 5 : Lamayuru / Alchi / Leh
In Alchi, Visit the 11th century temples decorated with Kashmiri art. Proceed to Likir Monastery and check in Leh. Walk to Shanti Stupa overlooking Indus Valley.
Day 6 : Leh / Thiksey / Hemis
Visit the monasteries of Shey, Thiksey and Hemis around Leh. Discover Buddhist art and thangkas (paintings) in Thiksey Gompa. 500 monks live in Hemis Gompa.
Day 7 : Leh / Nubra Valley
Drive North on an ancient trade route formerly connected to Central Asia. Cross Khardhung La pass at an elevation of 5600 m / 18,380 ft. Enjoy panoramic view on Zanskar, Ladakh and Pakistan's Karakoram ranges. Overnight stay in Nubra Valley in a homestay or tent.
Day 8 : Diskit / Hunder
Explore Diskit Monastery and Hunder sand dunes. Optional trip to Panamik hot springs.
Day 9 : Nubra Valley / Leh
Drive back to Leh. Walk in the bazaar.
Day 10 : Leh / Pongong Tso
Cross a high altitude pass (5,450 m / 17,880 ft). The bright blue lake of Pongon Tso stretches accross Ladakh and Tibet for more that 100 km / 62 mi. Enjoy the sunset and stay in a tent or guest house.
Day 11 : Pongong Tso / Leh
Drive back to Leh. Stroll around the city.
Day 12 : Leh / Delhi
Morning fly to Delhi and onward.
Average travel time:
- 3 to 6-hour drive between halts. Travel times can increase depending on road and weather conditions.
When to go:
- Best time: May to September. Ideal weather in June and July.
- Also check the calendar of local festivals.
- Roads to Nubra Valley and Pongong Tso can be closed in case of bad weather
- Nubra Valley sees monsoon rainfalls in August and September.
- Avoid Ladakh road trip in winter.
Spice up your trip:
- Stay in a with a local family
- Extend the trip to Spiti Valley or Manali.
- Ride a Royal Enfield bike on Magnetic Hill.
- Trek for a day or more.
- Track the elusive snow leopard on a safari.